Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Queen of Subtleties: A Novel of Anne Boleyn - Suzanne Dunn

I just finished this one last night. Maybe I'm historical fictioned out but I didn't really get why the writer would have a subplot woven around the King's confectioner. It was OK and I really enjoyed the portions coming from Anne's POV but Mrs. Cornwallis, not so much.

I think it showed her passion, her ambition and drive very well. It also showed that she wasn't repentant regarding her actions at the very end either. She regretted her time ending but not what brought about the change. I wonder what would have become of her if she'd just learned to control her temper & tongue a little more. Would she have been pensioned off? Gotten to see Elizabeth grow up? Or would she still have wound up with her head on the block for some other action?


(Originally posted July 16, 2008)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this one. I've always been fascinated by the Anne Boleyn story, though. I may have to give it a shot.