Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer **SPOILERS**

If you haven't read the book yet and don't want to know, please don't read any further.

I read the whole book on Saturday, which is not an unusual occurrence. I've been known to read several books in one day. (In my defense, they were all little books.) It was not what I was expecting. I was disappointed in parts such as the whole pregnancy thing. Come on. Really? An incubus? I think I would have been less disappointed if she hadn't made a big deal over the fact that vampires are preserved and basically have no liquids left in their bodies. If they have no liquid left, how was the pregnancy possible?

I didn't mind the pregnancy chapters from Jacob's POV. I've grown to rather like him. I also know what it's like to want to be with someone when they plainly have no interest in you so I also felt sorry for him. I didn't see what happened next coming.

As for Edward, eh.

There was a stark contrast between human Bella and vampire Bella. I'm glad she found the grace and charm that eluded her in life. I like her overall and got a kick out of watching her discover life as a newborn.

I wanted a fight with the Volturi. THAT was the biggest disappointment in the book. All that and NOTHING happened? Nothing? Let their coven be defeated and the Cullens start to rule their part of the supernatural world. They could have set up a vampire school to train newborns how to handle being a "vegetarian" and how to live alongside humans. Or something. The lack of an ending was the hardest part for me to read. Give me something a little more exciting. Anything but that.

So overall, it was OK. Not the greatest. Definitely not the worst thing I've read. If it were me, I would have done things differently like having Bella stay human, a fight with the Volturi, etc. No pregnancy. Maybe Jacob getting seriously hurt when he goes to rescue Bella and losing the ability to phase. But it's not my story to tell.

Thanks for the ending. :o)


(Originally posted August 5, 2008)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could have taken the words right out of my mouth. I hated breaking dawn. Well, hate is a strong word. I was very disappointed with it though. ESPECIALLY bc the lack of a fight at the end. All that buildup and -- nothing. Bella gets her perfect ending with no real sacrifice... Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge twilight addict. ;o)

Anyway, I like your blog! can't wait to see more reviews!