Thursday, May 20, 2010

Atonement - Ian McEwen

I didn't like this at all. Briony Tallis made a horrible mistake at the age of 13 which affected the lives of her older sister, Cecelia, and the housekeeper's son, Robert Turner. Briony was 13 at the time and didn't understand fully what was going on or the consequences of her statements. That led to Cecelia's estrangement from the family and Robbie being convicted of rape and subsequent jail time.

At the age of 18, she tried to make things right because in a sudden burst of clarity, Briony realized who had raped her cousin Lola.

I found the whole thing contrived and unbelievable. It was also very disjointed, in the jumps from part to part. I didn't like the flowery language. I felt that the backbone of a good story was there but Mr. McEwen failed to deliver it.

I know that this is on several lists of must reads but I can't figure out why for the life of me.

2 comments:

Tameka said...

I loved the story but hate what I had to go through to get there. Does that make sense?

Nishant said...

I loved the story
Contextual Ad Network India